All Donate Buttons Below Are Active and Will Take You to the Appropriate Donation Page
For those of you who have never adopted before or those who have not adopted SchipperkeRescue.Net, Inc. (SRN), here are some things you should know that will help you through the adoption process:
- Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view) there is not an overabundance of Schipperkes in Rescue. We wish there were none, but that is not the case.
- The folks involved in Rescue with whom you connect through this site are all experienced Schipperke people. Some may also be breeders, but all are committed to finding the right forever home for every Schip who comes into rescue.
- One thing to consider, if you really love Schips, is to think about fostering an older Schip. The one largest group we see coming into Rescue is Schipperkes 10 and older and many with health issues. As you know, Schips can live 12 to 20 years, even with those health issues. One foster has two elderly Schips, both of who came in with congestive heart failure. That was nearly 5 years ago, and they are both still going strong - one is 14 and the other is 16.
- Although we all hate it when our beloved Schipperkes have to go to the Rainbow Bridge, keep in mind that, just like the rest of us, they deserve a happy, well-loved golden years. So you might consider fostering, or even adopting, one of the wonderful, lovable oldsters.
So, what do you get with an SRN rescue?
- You get a dog who has had a thorough vet examination, including all appropriate vaccinations, essential tests (like heart worm), spay/neuter if needed, etc.
- Your SRN Schip also has usually been fostered by a Rescuer, which means the Schip has spent its time in a home - not a kennel - to see how it gets along with various family members and, usually other dogs (and, maybe, even cats).
- It is also evaluated, then helped to adapt to such situations as well. This is especially important for those who have lived in kennels all their lives so far.
- Your dog will have been evaluated for personality, adaptability, or any issues that might be within that personality. Just like humans, every Schip is different.
- You, two will undergo evaluation - usually in the form of the application and a telephone or personal interview. This is to help SRN make sure each dog is likely to fit into your household and family, thus ensuring a great experience for the both of you.
- You will also have the opportunity to meet your prospective adoptee as many times as you need to be sure the bond is there between you.
- The Foster home provides the Adoptive home with a written evaluation, a current schedule, and a set of observations to help the new home make it easy for the new dog to adapt.
- And very important, no adoption is permanent until the adoptive home says so. If you determine that match isn't right during the first 30 days, even your adoption fee will be returned to you. SRN wants both you and the dog both to be happy.
- And, finally, and, perhaps, most important no matter what happens in your household or to you, no matter what changes occur that might force you to give up your furbaby, your Schip will always have a home with an SRN Foster. That's even in the Adoption Contract.
- And one more thing - SRN provides you and your Schip with a support network of friends, knowledgeable Schip folks who are always willing to answer questions, provide suggestions how to handle issues such as adding another dog to the home or competition for affection or anything else. You will even hear about and be invited to Schipnics in your area (that's a Schipperke picnic where there are often more Schips than people, lots of food, camaraderie and fun.
So you can see, Rescue Adoption brings you lots of benefits a purchase through a pet store or even a good shelter simply cannot. It's a matter love. We love every Schip that comes in and want the home it goes to loves it as much and the Schip loves its new home as well.
SchipperkeRescue.Net, Inc. is a 501(c)3 public charity incorporated in Pennsylvania and located at 2360 Dairy Rd, Lancaster, PA 17601
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 by SchipperkeRescue.Net, Inc. All rights reserved